Dr Anil Yadav is the best doctor for depression treatment in Gurgaon. He is a highly experienced and specialised psychiatrist in Gurgaon. Check out below everything about depression and its treatment.
Depression is a serious medical disorder which worsens without suitable treatment. It happens with feelings of loss, annoyance or sadness interfering with your daily activities and sometimes, affecting relationships and certain chronic health disorders like obesity, diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disorder, asthma, arthritis.
Feeling upset or sad happens to all. But on a regular basis, it might become depression.
Depression symptoms in men are associated with:
- Moods like restlessness, anxiety, irritation, aggression, anger
- Emotional health like hopelessness, sadness, emptiness
- Behaviour like involving in drug abuse, excessive drinking, suicidal thoughts, easily feeling tired, loss of interest
- Sexual interest like decreased sexual desire
- Cognitive abilities like delayed response in conversations, trouble completing tasks, concentrating difficulty
- Sleep patterns like insomnia, excessive sleepiness, restless sleep
- Physical health like digestive issues, headache, pains, tiredness
Depression symptoms in women are associated with:
- Moods like irritability
- Emotional health like hopelessness, anxiety, emptiness, sadness
- Behaviour like suicidal thoughts, withdrawing from social involvements, disinterest in activities
- Cognitive abilities like talking or thinking more slowly
- Sleep patterns like excessive sleeping, waking early, insomnia
- Physical health like more cramps, headache, pain, weight changes, appetite changes, more fatigue
Depression symptoms in children are associated with:
- Moods like crying, mood swings, anger, irritability
- Emotional health like extreme sadness, crying, despair, feeling incompetent
- Behaviour like suicidal thoughts, avoiding siblings or pals, refusing to attend school, getting in trouble at school
- Cognitive abilities like grade fluctuations, deteriorating school performance, trouble concentrating
- Sleep patterns like excessive sleeping, trouble sleeping
- Physical health like weight gain/loss, appetite changes, digestive disorders, less energy
Common causes of depression are:
- Family history
A family history of depression or other related mood issue increases depression risks.
- Early childhood trauma
This may affect your body’s reaction to stressful circumstances and fear.
- Brain structure
A less active frontal brain lobe increases depression risks. However, it’s unknown whether this occurs before or after the development of depressive symptoms.
- Medical conditions
Specific disorders like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder), chronic pain, insomnia, chronic illness, etc. might raise depression risks.
- Drug misuse
A history of alcohol or drug abuse increases your risks.
Some risk factors of depression are:
- Self-criticism or low self-esteem
- Personal history of mental conditions
- Specific medications
- Stressful incidents like divorce, economic crisis, loss of a loved person, etc.
Why is a depression in older adults hard to recognise?
Symptoms are less distinct in depressed older adults else they less likely acknowledge their grief or sadness. They are more probable to possess medical problems like heart disorder that might lead to depression.
A single test is not available for diagnosing depression. However, we can perform a diagnosis as per your depression signs with a psychological evaluation.
We may ask a series of questions regarding your:
- Sleep pattern
- Activity levels
Since depression may have other associated health issues, we may perform a physical examination and order a blood sample. Vitamin D deficiency or thyroid disorders can sometimes trigger depression.
Depression treatment in Gurgaon involves the following separately or in combination:
We may prescribe:
- Antianxiety drugs
- Antipsychotic medications
Every kind of medication has its own benefits and serious risks that we will discuss with you.
Speaking with our therapist can aid in learning coping ways for your negative feelings. You might also benefit from group or family therapy sessions.
We may expose you to white light doses for regulating your mood and relieving depression. This therapy is usually used to treat the seasonal affective disorder, now recognised as major depressive disorder having seasonal patterns.
We may recommend meditation or acupuncture. Certain herbal remedies including fish oil can also improve depression. Consult with us before having a supplement alone or together with prescribed drugs since certain supplements might react with specific medications, decrease their efficacy or worsen depression.
Target half an hour of physical exercise at least 5 days weekly. This can raise endorphin production in the body. This hormone is a mood-booster.
Avoid drugs and alcohol
Drug abuse might make you feel better for a little while. However, in the remote future, these can worsen anxiety and depression.
Look after yourself
- Have enough sleep
- Eat a healthy diet
- Avoid negative people
- Participate in enjoyable/positive events
If your depression doesn’t improve, we might suggest other treatment alternatives like:
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
What if my doctor prescribes medicine?
If we prescribe medicines for depression, they might need 2-4 weeks to work. We will make you aware of their side effects if any. Don’t stop taking them without consulting us.